Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Voice for Africa...a lesson in giving.


Well...it's that time of year again! This year's September bash was definitely one of my most memorable - a benefit evening for AIDS orphans. I cannot begin to tell you how blessed I am. I have some of the greatest friends on the face of the planet! This year's catch was that you had to come with an outfit for an orphan. As I was sorting through the clothes today I realized how awesome my friends are. I was humbled to the point of tears at the overwhelming generosity and creativity in each bag. People gave in abundance, and as I look at the stack of clothes (not one outfit the same) I am overjoyed at the thought of how they will bless the lives of children who need a sliver of hope in seeming darkness. I wasn't sure what to expect people to bring...but I am definitely amazed! Thanx to all who made this event a success and gave so generously. Words cannot express the blessing you have imparted on my life. When you make yourself available to God, it is amazing the life He can pour through you. We are doors to the storehouses of His blessing.
Sorry I have no pictures of the event to share with all my peeps who couldn't be there (you were GREATLY missed!)...I didn't pick up my camera all nite! As usual...it was somewhat crazy times (hosting always is for me!) We had loads of food...and outdoor games - although the surprise big hit of the nite was bracelet making. We had an outdoor "walk-in" theatre featuring "Casablanca". It is a classic...although I think more action would have been a better choice...next time! My brother and I ended the evening cleaning up and watching "Top Gun" after everyone had left. Nothing like ringing in a new year with a classic eighties flick and Tom Cruise! It was the coolest...sleeping bags and hay bales, the nite sky hazed with a layer of misty fog, and fighter jets/hot guys in uniforms projected larger than life on our barn wall. If only I could have a piece of chocolate it would have been perfect!

3 Comments:

Blogger Megs said...

you are truly a beautiful individual my friend. lots of love on your birthday...i had great intentions ;)

10:47 PM  
Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one" ~ Mother Theresa ~

Thank you for demonstrating that, though Africa and Ontario are separated by a gret distance, a group of individuals can make a difference in the life of a child. I pray that God takes your gifts and uses them to bless lives in ways you never thought possible. I am honoured to be your friend...wish I could have been there!

7:33 AM  
Blogger JP said...

Medicine Hat's great! Really love this town - God's movin' and I want a part in it all.

That question you asked is a tough question - hard pill to swallow...because it's true, nothing really IS worth holding onto in comparison to God. Thanks for the comment!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home