Wednesday, August 09, 2006

living free...


I thought I'd write an entry that would enable me to post a picture of Michael Scoffield...isn't he "dreamy"?!!! But for reals...there is a point! (and it's not that the 3rd season is just around the corner!)

“The problem with the North American church is that it is content to be saved but not free.” - BB

I went to Revolution last nite, and as per usual, was changed and rearranged. God has been doing a pretty intense reno job on my heart...and although it’s usually inconvenient and uncomfortable, I’m sure I’ll be happy with the new me. ANYWAYS... last nite was all about freedom, so I figured I’d jot a few thoughts with the “free world”...
As we were worshipping I got this picture of these slaves standing at the edge of a river with all their belongings in hand. The water was pretty disgusting (envision the Grand River and then times the pollution by at LEAST 10!) but on the other side was this land that resonated light and freedom. The river was too treacherous to try and cross holding anything...it required leaving everything behind. Some of the slaves tried to get across the river carrying some of their stuff...only to be swept away or drowned trying. Others set up camp at the river, with freedom in view, unwilling to part with their possessions. And some abandoned their belongings on the shoreline and without looking back, swam to the other side. In this moment God was asking me "What are you willing to abandon to be free?"
So often as Christians we enjoy salvation, but we live in bondage. WE CHOOSE to hold onto the things that hinder our walk with God. It could be past sins, guilt, pride, fleshly desires...the excuses to keep them are endless "It's too hard...", "It's not really that bad...", "It's not like it's going to kill me..." How quick are we to obey when God reveals something in our lives that needs to go? When is the last time we sacrificed something we wanted for God? Remember...it cost Christ EVERYTHING. He gave His life!
When I was in Cali God gave me a verse in 1 Peter 4...
"You won't spend the rest of your lives chasing your own desires, but you will be anxious to do the will of God. You have had enough in the past of the evil things that godless people enjoy..." -NLT
The great thing about abandoning your own desires on the banks and pursuing God is that you will live life in abundance! God is going to be the one in charge of looking after your needs! Pretty sweet deal if you ask me (you just have to trust Him with that one!) God doesn't just save us from our sins...He wants to give us the fullest life possible. It reminds me of the animals adopted from shelters by Hollywood stars. You can save a stray from being beaten, give it some space on your back porch and feed it the cheapest dog food you can afford...but when God saves us He wants to hook us up with the mansion on the hill, with steak for breakfast, weekly groomings and playtime in the afternoon. It's funny to think that most of us CHOOSE the backporch because we think it's better...or go back to the owner who beats us. (And we thought animals were the onese who were stupid!)
The wonderful truth for today is that Christ has set us free...now we have to start LIVING free! And once you've tasted freedom...the desire for others to experience it will be overwhelming.
"Jesus paid much too high a price for us to pick and choose who should come." -Casting Crowns
Back to the picture I saw while worshipping (I'm ALL over the map today...that happens when I have too much to share and not enough space or time to get it ALL OUT!!!)...When the slaves started coming out on the other side of the river, all their filth and rags transformed into brightness the moment they emerged from the water. It takes that step of faith in abandoning what is familiar and trusting God's way is best before He can recreate you inside and out. He desires the best for His children. God wants to give you abundant life...but it will cost you something. It will cost you what you are currently holding so God can fill your hands with some better. It requires taking off the old favourite sweater and letting God give you the one you can't afford that's WAY better in the long run...but it means giving up something you aren't really ready to part with. WHY CAN'T I KEEP BOTH!! you might be asking...because you can't! It's 200 degrees in this world and you shouldn't be running around wearing two sweaters! (There's the hole in my analogy...I hope you can still salvage my point!) Anyways...back on track...these things may not necessarily be "sins", but they are currently hindering you in your walk with him. So often we are afraid of letting go because we think this is the best we'll get...like we're gambling or something. I can tell you it's worth it to give it up (I'm currently working on living that one out!)
"Dear children...keep away from anything that might take God's place in your hearts." - I John 5:21
If you can do this, you will experience freedom in your life as never before. See you on the other side!

3 Comments:

Blogger Megs said...

mmmmm. i love you as well my precious friend whom i never get to see long enough!!

Thank you for sharing this beautiful vision with the world. It's soooo stinkin' hard to take that sweater off though hey! sometimes i think i've taken off the freakin' sweater only to look into the mirror and realise i'm once again wearing it and its getting a little tighter!!

wish i were in maias suitcase!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

hello friend. just thought i'd let you know that i've joined the 'blogging world'. my blog address is www.flipflopsanonymous.blogspot.comcheck it out sometime, post a comment ;) love ya!!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

you need to update your blog!! love your poetic style of writing...very engaging and thought provoking...i love that you always make me think ;)

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home