Monday, October 02, 2006

Welcome to the Gong Show...NYC Style!

I no longer wonder at the craziness that consumes my life at times! My weekend started with a gong that resonated til my 3 am arrival back at home...and I found myself in that crazy world of laughing at myself before crashing into the deepest depths of sleep. Where to begin?...
I learned my lesson the hard way about not leaving enough time before your flight. 2 hours is ample time to get to the airport, check in and be at the gate, right? WHY WASTE PRECIOUS TIME WAITING?!! That's always my philosophy...cut it as close as you can so you can fill in as much as you can. I'm a psycho scheduler. Well, my drive to the airport was not an hour, like planned...no, torrential downpours, construction and accidents over doubled the time allowing me to show up at Buffalo airport just in time to wave at my flight taking off. (insert sidebar - saw an amazing rainbow and was reminded that God's promises - whatever shape or form they take - are AWESOME! I took a picture while driving over a bridge...maybe not the smartest thing, but I couldn't help myself. Not bad for someone trying to stay on the road in pouring rain!
Anyways, missed my flight and, not to be discouraged from a weekend in NYC, I rebooked for a 7:45...would you believe it took me almost til 7 to get to my gate? Even if I had left 4 hours before my original flight I would have still been pressing for time! WHAT IS WRONG WITH DELTA?!! I was wondering that well into the nite as my flight was delayed an hour and a half. So much for dinner plans...time to play around with my camera in the terminal! It's a wonder they didn't suspect me of being a terrorist! GONG!!!
Got on the plane (I was one of the privileged in the Emergency Exit row)...only to find out the lady beside me didn't speak English (is that not a requirement?!!) and the flight loos were out of commission... GONG!!! I'm lucky I have a bigger bladder than Maia!
Anyways, I finally made it to NYC amidst the craziness. Saturday morning we drove 1 1/2 hours to go apple picking with the kids. Some great photo ops, but Karen and I could only stay for half an hour...aren't the kids the cutest?!!
So yeah, got back in time to head out to the NY Yankees game with new friend, Mark. Too bad we got lost in the Bronx - but we did make it for the 5th inning. Just in time to see the Blue Jays come from behind to clinch the game. There was a bunch of crazy canucks I almost migrated to...just because being a lone fan for the opposing team in the middle of Yankee Stadium isn't the safest thing at all times. They really take their baseball seriously...
Had some amazing Thai food in the city before heading home to challenge Karen & Al to speed scrabble. We sorta lost track of time until someone had the smarts to check a watch and see it was already after 2am! Not a favourable hour to stay up to when church is at 8:30! It poured rain - changing our afternoon hiking plans to lunch at The Cheesecake Factory. Besides them screwing up my order, the food was really good and I got a complimentary piece of the infamous dessert to go. Too bad only 4 of the 20+ kinds did not have chocolate...
Spent the afternoon in the city going to the "Goog" and perusing book stores for Jeremy Cowarts book "Hope in the Dark". To no avail...I guess it's Amazon.com for me! I got to the airport with tons of time to spare - only to find out my flight was delayed again! They couldn't make up their mind whether or not to board us...and when they finally did we had to wait half an hour before we could actually take off. Hello migraine headache, 1/2 hour late luggage, and 3:00am arrivals at home. GONG!!! Too bad I had to get up for school this morning 'cause I had a first period art class to teach! GONG!!!
In the aftermath I humoured myself in the fact that my "time-saving flight" took longer from start to finish than actual driving would have! And yet I can still laugh at it all...at my life. It is always an adventure and never boring. May the madness never cease...

2 Comments:

Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

You totally are a psycho scheduler!!! I'm always thinking 'we won't make it' but somehow we miraculously do!! WHAT?! NO BATHROOMS ON THE PLANE?! You're right, I would have had a panic attack...haha. Well, I'm glad you made it home safe and sound (and in one piece...always a bonus). I love you and your 'gong show' adventures...who wants plain ol' boring 'predictable'?! NOT US!! I'm sure we'll have some insano stories to share from our travels in kango-land!! Love ya!!

5:27 PM  
Blogger QueenBee said...

I'm so jelous that you got to go to the 'goog'. I would love to be able to go back. I was there a few years ago. The building it self is such an incredible work of art let alone all the pieces inside.
I am such an over scheduler. I always try to be early rather than late for everything - they say 2 hours I try for 2.5 or 3. I try to plan for the unexpected - however, you can't really ever plan for the unexpected.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home