Wednesday, October 04, 2006

held by a thread....

I once told a friend if I wasn't a Christian I would be a complete and total pagan...I wasn't lying. And when I say pagan, I'm not talking about the "nice" kind that you pass in life and think to yourself "What a nice person...they'd make a good Christian.". No. I am well aware of my underlying wild side...her name is Katie. Don't even ask me why she has a name - I think we made it up in the office once as a reference point to my craziness. Few have ever met her, but I am constantly reminded of her existance below the surface, itching to be released into society.
Katie is fun and carefree...she doesn't concern herself with consequences but lives in the moment. She pushes the edge. She thrives on out-of-character activities. She's the life of the party. The wild drunk. The girl with every guy. The chick on the back of the bike. She's pretty much everything I am currently not (aside from the bike part!) In relation to her, my life is pretty boring (that leaves heaps to the imagination!!!)
This is what I see when I look in the mirror...this constant battle with my flesh and the spirit that God has placed within me. I am always amazed, when looking back, to see how much God has spared me from, given my nature. I'm sure you're wondering by this point why I am sharing this. It's more of a reality check really. I've had people comment on "What a nice person you are". I have to laugh because I get the inside-out view. They only get the "processed" me. And I wonder if they spent 5 minutes in my thoughts - would they still be my friend?!!
See the reality of it is that when people say things like that, I know God is at work. Because I know who I am - I battle with her every day. I know full well the things I struggle with - the constant temptation to unleash this wild side and stop caring about consequences and truth. And then I am reminded of the thin strands that hold me. These strings of grace that are woven throughout me. The delicate balance that keeps me on the humbling tightrope of God-given spirit and my dang flesh! And so when people see good...I can only stand amazed and humbled at the God at work inside of me. I mean, look at Paul - revolutionary in the early church and apostle of Christ - he took the quote of all times when he said he was the chief of all sinners. How could that be possible? And yet his statement brings us back to the humble beginnings of the reality that we suck...and yet to the point of hope that God has bigger things instore for us.
2 Peter sums it up pretty good...
"God has given us everything we need for living a godly life...He has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world's corruption caused by human desires." - II Peter 1:3b/4b
God gave us his very own Son. His very nature! We have his promises of strength, wisdom, provision - everything. He gives all His children the ability to live righteously before Him. There is no excuse for our character or inherited stubbornness...(like that blasted mentality - boys will be boys - argh! I HATE that line!) Basically the ball is in our court, and I wonder...what will our response be? Will we be willing to sacrifice?
I am reminded of a man stretched across a cursed monument...flesh torn and bleeding...gnarled metal holding him in place - hand and foot. As tempting as unleashing Katie can be at times...there is a man who loved me so much He died that I might receive all of heaven's promises. What in this world could ever truly compare to His love? What passing pleasure, or party can really fulfill my heart like He does? I pray you continue to meet His spirit in my life. May we all learn to reflect the nature of our Creator and Saviour.
And pray that Katie gets converted!

3 Comments:

Blogger Drivertiser said...

No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. 1 Corinthians 9:27

One of Dave's favourite verses and exactly what you are choosing to do with "Katie". There is a constant battle between spirit and flesh, right and wrong and so far you are winning that battle quite handily (from the "outsider" perspective).

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice is such a stupid work isn't it. Krissy and I were chatting about you yesterday (and we're ON for October 23rd BTW) as I was telling her about what you do with your life. NICE TO HAVE OTHERS TALKING ABOUT YOU EH... HA

But she said imedietly that the word that came back to her about your life was "Pioneer". She prayed that over you a while ago on a Sunday night i believe.

We all have "Katie". And not all of "Katie" is just your flesh either. When I come to Revolution for example, I have to put "up front Dave" on to a certain degree. There really is only one other human who really know the whole me... and that is combination of "Katie" and "Stage Dave".

To thine own self be true

7:52 AM  
Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

There is a 'katie' in all of us. However, as you said, what can compare to the sacrifice that Christ made for us? He denied the 'pleasures' that this world offers and, instead, chose to fix his eyes on the greater prize. Amazing.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home