Friday, December 08, 2006

my rant

OK...this is the first and only official rant I am going to allow on my blog in regards to the following topic. You can thank the mailman for this one. It started off as an average day....getting ready to do some chillaxing after work, and I'm sorting thru my mail. There's never anything good in there...bank statements and bills mostly, but today of all days I got this...I don't know about you, but it seems like everywhere I go people are throwing singles things at me. From blind dates, to speed dates to internet dates...EVERYONE seems interested in finding me a match (maybe it's the challenge of finding the needle in the hay field!) From my mailbox, to my inbox, to telemarketers, friend or stranger, I can't seem to escape the massive influx of "opportunity" to meet "the one"! I know my friends are only trying to be helpful and have nothing but "good intentions", but complete strangers offering assistance in my plight?!!! HONESTLY! WHERE DOES IT END?! Do I even dare ask...
The convenience of hooking up has become like ordering fast food. Type in your interests and what you're looking for and bang! you have a list of potentials. I can't tell you the number of friends that have found their significant others this way. Maybe it does work...it is that easy...maybe I should jump on the band wagon and get the fact that I'm single dealt with so we can all move on from this point! There are times I feel as if I have a sign on my forehead that says "I am not complete...please fix me"...
Except for I don't need to be fixed...I am right where I should be and am in the time God prepared for me. I know it may be hard for a lot people to imagine, but you can be content as a single person! So often times we look at what we don't have yet, that we miss out on what we currently hold in our hands. I think that is what frustrates me the most about dating services...curing singleness becomes the focus, not serving in singleness. People tend to be discontent with where they're at, and aren't REALLY trusting and resting in God. I read an interesting verse in 1 Peter 4...
"trust your life to God...for He will never fail you."
From one single person to another, this goes for marital status too ya know! God knows the desires of our heart. He created us and knows our inmost thoughts and being. Do you not believe He is turning to good all things when you love Him? Single life can be hard...I've been there...done that...still doing that! But when you stop making that search the priority of your day when you wake up, you'd be amazed at what God will unfurl in your life!
For all the friends of single peeps... I truly believe you have good intentions, and desire nothing but happiness for your friend. Maybe you DO have Mr. or Mrs. Perfect right under your nose... but in all your matchmaking, please keep in mind the heart of the one you're trying to hook up. Mine sometimes feels like it's on the end of a yo-yo... up, down, up down with possibilities and potentials and everything else that goes along with the volatile unknowns of the dating scene. Blind dates, especially with a mutual connection are ALWAYS tense. There's the "surfacy fact-finding" phase. The "trying to see why my friend thought you were perfect" phase...and then there's the "awkward" phase when it doesn't work out, and relaying that "gently". Sometimes they're successful...most times they're just a funny story. My book hits stores just in time for Christmas!
And for the rest of you who find me too picky, or the runner up for ice queen...I AM!! Ha...I'm joking! I just want you to know that it's not a matter of me not wanting to get married or being afraid of that holy institution. Rather, it is a profound respect for the relationship that keeps me from filling the space with the next available bloke with a heartbeat. To dispel the myth, my "list" is short. I do not hate guys. I am not Ms. Independant for life. I have a great capacity to love and be loved...but all in good time...in God's time. And maybe the irony of that will lie in someone setting me up...than we'll all get a good laugh!
So that is my rant in brief...be content in WHATEVER state you find yourself...God has purpose and plans for you life. Sometimes those are best accomplished single. Sometimes married. But focus your eyes on Christ, not on your circumstances. You won't be disappointed at the adventure and the perfection of His timing!
Sidebar for all my single peeps trying to get out of that "blind date gone wrong"...did you know that there is a service available to break up with people? From emails to phone calls, you can get someone else to do the dirty work...lovely!

8 Comments:

Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

So, i have this guy i want you to meet...BAHA!! Just jokes ;) Oh dear friend of mine, you know that I can relate ALL too well. You are absolutely right...singleness can be accompanied by contentment. When Sarah and Kris got married, my parents shared a 'prayer' that I thought was extremely valuable. They prayed that they would learn the art of contentment. So often I have sought 'fulfillment' in all of the wrong places. Single or married...God is our portion. And, as you said, when (and IF) it's His timing, our 'ducks will line up in a row'. His plans are always better than our own ;) Until then, there are Australian men to meet...baha!! ;)

7:10 PM  
Blogger The Bean Bag Chair said...

bring on the Auzzies and the accents...perfect timing if you ask me?!!!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Drivertiser said...

One of the hardest fights of my life is being content in singleness. I know all about "His timing" and stuff, but I HATE waiting! Maybe that's why He's making me do it for so long

11:11 PM  
Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

heh heh...I hear ya Eric...dang the 'waiting game'!!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it from a married woman, who has been blessed with an amazing husband and has seen and heard of the many failed "Christian" marriages, the last thing you would ever want to do is end up in a marriage that is not the right one. I have an amazing marriage and it is still difficult at times because you are melding two separate lives and personalities together. Why make it more difficult on yourself by picking just anybody. Way to go AnnaMarie! If only more women would think like you then there wouldn't be so many unhappy women. And as one of my kids books say, "God's ways are not always our ways, but His ways are always best."

6:07 AM  
Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

Wait till I tell you about my recent 'set up'...

3:36 PM  
Blogger The Bean Bag Chair said...

WHAT?!!! Tell me he had a funky Christmas sweater...did he show up with a bouquet of mistletoe

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN AnnaMarie! I thank God for people like you to remind me about what I should be doing with all the "spare" time I have as a single person. (haha. spare time. yeah right.) Anyways, yup... its good to know that there are others out there who believe the same and that I am not the only crazy person that believes you can have a purpose and be fulfilled as a single person. Imagine the possibilities...
sarah

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home