Saturday, August 18, 2012

the art of waiting


I have spent the last week,
hour after hour,
through long days
and sleepless nights
listening to fleeting breaths. 
Watching the woman who first saw me enter the world,
exit it.




Her chest rises and falls in laboured effort;
humanity battling eternity
to its bitter end.

And as I sit,
holding the hand
that first held me,
I watch the strength
dissolve from her being.
The warmth of life
fade from her limbs.
Her earthly body
prepare for her heavenly one.

There is a wealth of years
collected in this fragile frame.
Her intensely blue eyes
that have witnessed
days of war,
immigration,
prosperity,
hardship,
love,
sickness, 
death -
gaze out at the world
with weary finality.
Her silent lips
that have told many a story.
Her heart,
slowing its pace in expectation,
that has held many a story back.

I have witnessed
that death is no respecter of persons.
It doesn't play to our schedules
or conveniences.
It is not easy.
It is not pretty.
It keeps it's own time.

I have realized
we are trained for expediency in our life.
We're uncomfortable
with the struggling.
The waiting.
The dying. 

I have learned
the challenge of shutting out the busyness of life
to be still
for hours…
days…
weeks…
and wait in the presence of death.

I won't pretend to understand the suffering,
but one thing I do know:
the journey has given us time
to share,
to grieve,
to walk through this season
together.
It is not always about the easiest pathway…
it is about the things you learn along the way,
and the gift of time spent with loved ones.

God is perfect in timing.
Even if it's not our own.

And so I pray…
For the patience to wait.
For the strength to persevere.
For peace that passes understanding.
For mercy in death.
For the promise of all things new.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home