Tuesday, June 12, 2012

finger painting my life

There's nothing more beautiful
than a fresh canvas,
awaiting a masterpiece
to be held on its fibres.
 


This past weekend
amidst the chaos of dramatic productions
and all things Pan, 
I had lingering moments
to reflect on life -
over three years of life -
spent in a small fort
down by the river.

My life has been a bit of
here
there
and everywhere...
and there are many places
I have been privileged to call home.
Fort Saskatchewan is one of them.

The one thing that makes a home for me
has never been the location,
but people.
Altho Alberta
has not always afforded comfortable temperatures,
it has never been shy
on the gems of it's populace.

There are people that will pass
in and out of your life
without a trace...
and then there are those
that will leave their fingerprints
imprinted all over your memories,
your thoughts,
your heart...

The friend crazy enough to road trip.
The student that hugs you every day.
The farmer that fixes your car.
The nites of coconut shrimp,
movies and sleepovers,
coffee runs,
mache
and tissue paper poofs.
The legends
of people falling out of trees,
oversized porcupines,
and missing felines.
There are so many things
that have burrowed their way
into my heart.
My soul.
My mind.
My memory.

This weekend we grieved the loss
of a husband,
a father,
a humble servant in our church community.
His fingerprints were etched across my canvas
in simple service,
and in pondering his life,
I looked around a room full of people
that have branded my life
with their own.




In the rareness of that moment
I felt the overwhelming reality
their fingerprints
have forged on my life.

And I cried.

That "tear in my eye"
finally fell
at the thought of how much
you all mean to me.
How much I have taken for granted
the time we were gifted with.

The boxes have already begun
to pack themselves...
and as each shelf is emptied,
my heart grows heavy.

Because I don't know how to say good-bye.

Because "thank-you" couldn't possibly cover
all we've walked through together.
All we've shared.
The memories.
The laughter.
The tears.
The chaos.
The vent sessions.
The ridiculous.
The exhaustion.
The vast amounts of life.

And as a fresh canvas begins to unfold before me...
I'm left with nothing to do
but trust,
in the God who led me here,
and is now calling me to new things.

But a new masterpiece 
has made it's way onto the hallways of my thoughts.
It is hung with over 3 years of memories...
of doing life together.




So for lack of a better word...
Thank-you.
For sharing your life.
For walking through mine.
For giving me your friendship.
You will always hold a special place in my heart.
You will never be forgotten.
Your fingerprints remain.

And I love you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home