Saturday, September 18, 2010

another one bites the dust

It's that one day of the year again.
Of 365 possibilities,
it is the one that persists to engage thoughts
of where I'm going,
who I am,
and what the heck I'm doing!


My birthday.

Every year I pen my thoughts,
not only on where I've been
but of the things I think are going to happen.
The things I never imagine happening.
The things that take my breath away.

I've heard the running commentary that when you turn a certain age, you'll have a better idea of what you want. As I look back over the wealth of life lived, I realize I'm definitely not where I thought I'd be at 32...(cough cough...I mean 23!) but my desires and wants for my life have not really changed, they've only matured...
like good wine.

I want to jump out of planes
off rocks
and into life.
Give me the back seat of a fast bike any day!

I want to continue meeting people
and discover new places...
to be stretched beyond my comfort zone
and be awakened
by emotions,
tastes,
smells,
textures,
adventures.

I want to know God more.
There's so much I still don't understand.
So much I haven't met.
So much that remains a mystery
awaiting discovery.

I want to know peace.
I want to know quiet.
I want to live there
in moments of silence
and reflection.

I want more time...
to read.
to listen.
to create.
to laugh.

I want to see healing
in relationships.
Families.
People.
To experience restoration
and renewal
of body
mind
spirit.

I want to dive into the depths
of the unchartered waters of my soul.
To come face to face with myself
and accept the reflection.

I want my life to count
not just in the tangible world
but the spiritual.

I want to continue unwrapping
the layers,
memories,
and moments
in my friendships.
To live each day to the fullest
with those who make life full.

And I want to do life with someone...
the elusive "one"...
who will wake up beside me
walk through these twisted paths of discovery with me,
and still want to crawl in bed at the end of the day!


I want to share every moment -
each victory or defeat -
the good,
the bad,
the ugly...
hand in hand,
heart in heart
with someone who will make my soul smile
and persevere through whatever needs to be faced
together.

The things I want from life may never change
or find fulfillment in the new year that lies before me,
but I will not live with disappointment...
only expectation
and in anticipation for the unknown.
Here's to another year of discovery...
beginnings,
continuations,
and the infinitely more
that God has up his sleeve!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home