Sunday, August 09, 2009

of strengths and weaknesses...

A childhood song was replaying in my head this morning on the way to church...

"the joy of the Lord is my strength..."

This simple phrase has usually been translated to mean that our physical strength comes from knowing God. That living in Him, we can overcome anything.
But this morning I began mulling over it in the light of the concept of strengths and weaknesses...
Is the joy of the Lord my strength? my strongpoint as a Christian?

There is a saying that has always brought some level of perspective in my life...
"Preach at all times, and when necessary, use words."
It constantly challenges me to look at my own life and contemplate what message I am daily sending of my relationship with Christ if words were not an option.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see when two people are enjoying their marriage and when a couple is merely co-occupating space or going through the motions.
The same is true in our relationship with God.
We've all met the honeymooners.
The seasoned couple, still going for walks and holding hands.
But we've also hung out with the ones on the rocks.
Those who are unhappily "sticking it out" because they know it's the "right" thing to do.
The posers.
I've lost count of how many services I've sat in where the participants look like they'd rather be getting their teeth pulled than sing another song, or the sullen Christians I have met who know all the answers, yet lack the freedom to truly enjoy God.
Because apparently that is our chief end...to glorify God and enjoy him forever...

Sometime, somewhere, someone equated a monotone, composed reverence to the epitome of holiness.
And through the years we've adopted this attitude, this controlled response...and forgotten how to express joy in our relationship with God in a natural way that honours and glorifies Him.
We get overwhelmed by the weight of sin.
The physical cost of sacrifice.
The drudgery of everyday life.
We harbour the fear that too much emotion will lead to mindless worship.

And it brought me back to the context of the passage in Nehemiah where that childhood song originated from...to a time when the people were hearing God's word, and were weeping at it's reality.
The reality of their sin.
The reality of truth.
And Nehemiah responds by telling them to feast!
They were commanded to enjoy choice foods and sweet drinks...
When's the last time you went to church, well aware of your shortcomings, and someone told you to party?

A wise man once commented on this passage..."These are the means which the Spirit of God crowns with success, in bringing the hearts of sinners to tremble and to become humbled before God. But these are enemies to their own growth in holiness, who always indulge sorrow, even for sin, and put away from them the consolations tendered by the word and Spirit of God."

Because, you see, joy is not always a smile...
but it finds its balance in seeing that God is holy...
that the reality of sin is overcome by the reality of a Saviour.

And so these questions have been stirring in my spirit...
What does enjoying God practically look like? here? now?
Am I truly enjoying my relationship with Him?
Is it the joy that others see and desire?
Is it my strength?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home