Thursday, May 01, 2008

nothing...

Tonite I was driving home and my heart was breaking.
Breaking at the suffering of loved ones and strangers.
Breaking over the endless list of hurting people.
Breaking for a church that has grown complacent and powerless against the flow.
A phrase kept repeating itself over and over in my head...
...when the good do nothing...
I've read the Bible cover to cover and then some...I know the stories. I've heard the accounts of Jesus drastically changing the lives of many people. Of the disciples doing some far out ministry. I've often been in awe at its pages - filled with miracles, healings, and absolutely bizarre accounts of things that reach far beyond our natural realm.
I believe it to be true.

But in believing it to be true, what does this knowledge project upon my current earthly status?
If it is true, why am I not striving for the faith the size of a mustard seed to move a mountain?
Why do I feel helpless when hearing of cancer beyond cure, or medical conditions beyond understanding?
Why is it that we have resolved ourselves to the fact that we are sinners, and that whatever brokenness we may be facing is the consequence?
Why are we always looking at the physical realm with overwhelming discouragement, and not living in the passionate faith of a spiritual realm that will overcome?
What ever happened to the power of faith that committed people to all-night prayer vigils, who didn't take "no" for an answer, and saw men walk out of prisons?
Shadows of men that would bring healing to the sick?
Words that would cause the lame to walk again?
Singing that would open jailhouses?
If I believe it to be possible then, why shouldn't I believe it to be possible now?

Tonite I was driving home and my heart was hoping...
Hoping for a tangible miracle that would touch the magnitude of hurt in every realm.
Hoping for a stirring amongst silent churches, and prayerless people who have accepted this hurt as "life".
Hoping that the good people who, in faithlessness, are doing nothing...
and accepting nothing...
and changing nothing...
and believing nothing can be done...

Will start walking...
and talking...
and living...
by faith.

What are we waiting for?

1 Comments:

Blogger Drivertiser said...

Let's do it!

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home