Sunday, January 13, 2008

til death do us part...

Being "in love" is not an emotion I am experienced at, nor can I claim to understand the depth of intimacy a couple experiences within the walls of marriage. However, sometimes I feel God has gifted me the ability to imagine these experiences in my heart to understand in part the interactions of those around me.
Today I cried from such an interaction.
I called home yesterday to learn that someone I knew had just lost her husband suddenly in a tragic accident. A young mother of four, she is now thrust into life without her husband, her love, her best friend. Who can understand the depth of grief a person must endure...
A sleepless nite of thought ensued as I pondered the face of God in such moments. I will not pretend to understand the ways of God, the grief process individuals must journey through, or return volley with pat answers that cannot fathom the depth of loss...But in every darkened cloud there is a lining of hope - the very presence of God Himself amidst the storms...the tears...the questions...the loneliness...
It may only be a sliver in the making, but it is the whispered memory of His promises to those who love Him. It is the first shard of light to pierce the darkness and remind our grieving eyes of coming dawn...
There was a song we sang in church this morning that pressed on my thoughts the overwhelming truth of what it means to be a Christian...

"The same power that conquered the grave
Lives in me...lives in me...
The same love that rescued the earth
Lives in me...lives in me..."


Think about this for just a moment...
and then think about it once more...

The power that lives in us conquered the grave. Our lives are but a breath...a seamless step from life into eternal life. Even in the face of death we find victory because we are found in Christ...
This is such a simple yet profound truth. Whatever we are facing...struggles, uncertainty, weakness - a power abides within us that can overcome them. Whatever paths of darkness we must walk...the loss of loved ones, broken relationships, sickness - a love that saved the world lives within us that can save us...And yet for those who are left behind we feel less than victorious. Our worlds are ripped apart. Our heart is broken. We remain - stunned by the reality of humanity - clinging to God's promises that we will overcome. That by His love we'll make it...moment by moment...

And so, having said that -
I have nothing to say...
Nothing to make sense of this tragedy...
Nothing that will reach into the depths of your aching heart and bring relief to the unspeakable pain...
Nothing that will stop the tears from falling...
but I will pray...
Pray for a peace that surpasses our human understanding...
Pray for the Comforter to hold in ways that my humanity falls short...
Pray that His promises will carry you from this dark night and into the morning...

8 Comments:

Blogger lyn said...

And many others link their prayers with yours...

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I was searching google for the lyrics to this song in hopes that I would find a tab for it, but no luck... just your blog and another's.

Would you happen to know the title of the song by any chance? Thanks!

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi i too was searching for tt same song "the same power that conquered the grave lives in me, lives in me" and would really appreciate if you could let me know what the song title is if you do know. thanks so much!

3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey

It's one of Hillsong United's new Songs, Hasn't been released yet, will be on their new album whenever that will be.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it's not Hillsong United's song. It's Hillsong London's song :)

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the song is called "You Are Here", written by Grant Pankratz of Church of the Harvest in Oklahoma City, USA and Dave George (band member at Hillsong London). Its not on any CD's yet and was written in October of 2007. It'll eventually make its way onto Harvest's annual CD and maybe Hillsong London's new one (only time can tell).

the lyrics we sing here in Oklahoma City are:

there is a love that i know
strength for the weak and the broken heart
my shepherd and king, i find you within me
for you are here, my lord forever
you are here

you carried the cross for the world
hope for the lost and the fatherless
my shepherd and king, i find you within me
for you are here, my lord forever
you are here

your word is a light for the world
your glory resounds in the universe
my shepherd and king, i find you within me
for you are here, my lord forever
you are here

in this place, you are here
by your mercy, i draw near
in my heart, take your place
you are here

the same power that conquered the grave
lives in me
lives in me
your love that rescued the earth
lives in me
lives in me

www.harvestokc.com for lots of their incredible music.

hope any of that helps

2:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

it has been recorded on hillsong Londons new album and hillsong Australia's new album, and will be on harvest's new album and it is a great song. God is really using it. you can find it on youtube.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no way, thanks so much to whoever put these lyrics up, this song really touched me at colour conference London, so glad to have found the lyrics :)

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home