Sunday, October 07, 2007

hezekiah 31 (the epilogue)

This is the last in my little trilogy...and it's kinda funny that it surfaces as first when reading through the blog, because it is a great premise to what God is calling us to do and be in this generation.
"BEWARE OF PRIDE"

Sounds so easy...but it goes without saying - pride is usually the downfall of many great leaders, and no one, not even Hezekiah, was free of its grasp. In II Choronicles 32 you read a short discourse of all the great things Hezekiah accomplished in his reign...but also where he tripped up...
v.25"But Hezekiah did not respond appropriately to the kindness shown him, and he became proud."
Note to self...IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!!!
This is something that you need to be very intentional about keeping in the forefront of your thoughts as you pursue God and return to worshipping Him. I am so thankful that God delights enough in us that He doesn't just save us, but that He uses us to accomplish His purposes on this planet. But in saying that, I have to constantly be humbling myself before Him and repenting of the whispers in my heart that want to pat myself on the back for my pursuit of God.
It is definitely an interesting balance of living out your giftings with humility and pointing the glory to God. I do not receive compliments well, nor do I feel comfortable in getting attention for the things I do...but even in this, I am constantly having to battle the prideful thoughts that vie for my attention, and humble myself before the One who it's really all about.
When King Hezekiah was obedient in what God was calling him to do, he earned the respect of the surrounding nations, and chapter 32 tells of many gifts that arrived in Jerusalem from outside sources because of this obedience. That's pretty incredible that God released the wealth of other nations to bless the obedience of His people. But talk about opportunity to get overwhelmed by pride...and the point of all this is that we all can get tripped up by it if we're not careful.
When you focus your eyes on God, those who are watching you will start looking in the direction you are looking. We need to stop looking in the mirror at what God created, and instead to the One who infinitely and wonderfully made us.
Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and HE will lift you up...
Do not look for the praise of man, but for the praise of the One who loves you, empowers you, and saves you...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home