Saturday, June 09, 2007

are we there yet?!!!

This is the classic of all road trip phrases…often said in exasperation and impatient anticipation. Having become a road trip fanatic in the past few years, I have become savvy in the etiquette of long milers and have refrained from uttering such phrases. If only I could be so disciplined in life…
Our anxiety and analytical mindset of having to know EVERYTHNG RIGHT NOW often kills spontaneity and adventures can be missed. We become so focused on the facts, or getting there the fastest way possible that we miss out on the ride or random roadside escapades.
God’s been teaching me heaps about trust lately, and ironically enough He used the example of a road trip. I had the awesome opportunity to take Casper up north a couple weekends ago with some friends. As yacking usually goes, you tend to not be as attentive to road signs, and to make a long story short, we missed our cutoff to the “fastest way”. What a great opportunity to take the scenic route and create adventures of our own. A 3 hour trip turned to 5, and with a plethora of crazy pics and random finds (aka couches) along the way, we finally arrived at the cottage.During our stay, “interesting things” happened (now there’s something new in my life!) that caused me to really question God on His reasoning. What was the purpose? Why did these things happen? What the heck was going on?!!! And for a moment I became the whiny kid in the back seat "Why are we turning here? Why are we going down this road? Are we there yet?!!!"
I could almost hear God’s sigh.
And in my spirit I knew I wasn’t going to get an answer - not the one I was looking for anyways!
“My child…do you not trust me enough to know there are reasons I take certain roads. There is purpose in each stop. But that’s not important for you to worry about…the details are not as exciting as the ride! Enjoy the drive! Enjoy the changing scenery. Trust me enough to know that I am taking you the best way…that the destination will far exceed your expectation.”
And there was peace.
Peace in the fact that I didn’t have to know why He was going down the road. Peace in my knowledge that He is a giver of good gifts - perfect in His timing, and precise in His execution of His plans. It’s not that we cannot question Him on things, but sometimes He just wants us to enjoy the road, find amusement in the quirky adventures we find ourselves in, and trust that He will lead us into something amazing.
So buckle up little buddy…

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funnest road trip in the life of EVER! Methinks....
Pretty much one of the bestest pics ever toooooo!
God did do some fun things!
Lately there has been some revelations about stuff that God taught me that weekend - will explain in more detail when we talk next. Who knows when that will be....

12:28 PM  
Blogger julie said...

goodness we need to talk soon!

good to hear Gods taking you for a ride :)

7:50 PM  
Blogger Matt Vaandering said...

FYI: katie LOVED that trip. it sounds like you did too.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home