Thursday, November 06, 2008

when fair meets square...

Life is not fair.

I don’t know whoever got lost in birthing that concept,
but the reality of life is that it is not fair...
not in our human understanding of fair anyway.

People have lived in their perception of the unspoken rules of fairness.
Sacrifice = reward.
Surrender = protection.
Generosity = returned blessing.

If I give all that I have, it is only fair that, in return, someone will sow generously in my life.
If I surrender my life, it is only fair that I will be protected.
If I choose a life of sacrifice, it is only fair that I will receive blessing for selflessness.

And yet we see good things happening to those who don’t “deserve” it...
and suffering filling the lives of the good.

It isn’t fair.

But this is how we see grace...
Good things happening to those who don’t deserve it.

This is how we see faith...
The good finding strength in the face of pain.

And we learn a valuable lesson:
God doesn’t operate in our standard of fair.
He operates in His goodness.
For our ultimate good.


If our actions guaranteed blessing,
we’d sign up for the instant rewards instead of the journey...
the relationship.
If our choices secured a life of ease,
we would never experience
the depth,
the width
of the love of our Creator.
If everything was “fair”
we would rob ourselves
of knowing a living and breathing faith.

Life is not fair.

This morning I woke up to the news that a friend had passed away from cancer.
She had only been diagnosed two days before.
She has 3 young children.
A loving husband.
A circle of family and friends who never got to say good-bye.

Death is not fair.

And every time I face it I realize that it is not natural.
It was not a part of God’s plan for humanity,
but it is a part of our current reality.

These are the moments I don’t understand...

When I can’t see through the fog of circumstance
I must hold to what I know:
Life may not be fair,
But I believe in a God who knows...
a God of love
a God of mercy
a God of life.
A God who has the ability to rewrite ALL things to good...

Today a friend left the hospital - free from her pain,
while her husband walked out the door, beginning his journey through it.

Arlene - in my sadness, I rejoice that you are free from pain. You are loved and will be greatly missed. We will not forget...

Phil - I cannot imagine the inexpressible amount of pain you and your children are facing. I pray the everlasting arms of God to reach into the darkness and hold you where none of us can.Heavenly Father...I pray for the strength to live -
moment by moment
by your grace.
in your mercy.
for your love.

However long this gift of life may last...
may we live for your glory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home